Pages

5.26.2008

THE HOLINESS OF GOD - Chapter 2 Reflections:

Chapter 2 - Holy Holy Holy

Quotable Sproul: "It's dangerous to assume that because a person is drawn to holiness in his study that he is thereby a holy man. There is irony here. I am sure that the reason I have a deep hunger to learn of the holiness of God is precisely because I am not holy. I am a profane man -- a man who spends more time out of the temple than in it. But I have had just enough of a taste of the majesty of God to want more. I know what it means to be a forgiven man and what it means to be sent on a mission. My soul cires for more. My soul needs more."

Allowing God's Holiness to Touch Our Lives - 3 questions

1) "Isaiah's response to God's revelation of his holiness was, 'Woe is me.' What is your response?"

I'm doomed without Christ. Doomed!

2) "In what ways do you need to be refined by the fire of God's holiness?"

Like the hair on my arm that was singed by a weekend bonfire, my mind needs searing. My thoughts have turned angry and pain-filled as of late. And I don't like it one bit. If the mind is the devil's playground, then my playground needs a grounds-keeper. If the full armor of God serves as my mind's protection, then I need to don it once again.

3) " What aspect of God's holiness, as described in this chapter, causes you to worship him more fully?"

Most definitely His grace in forgiveness. As described in Isaiah's situation, God took a sinful man, cleansed his filthy lips, changed his heart, and made him a holy man with a mission. I find it very interesting that God can -- and does -- use sinful people to accomplish His plans despite our sinfulness. If God can use King David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Saul of Tarsus, and Peter, I think I have a chance.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your concept of needing a grounds-keeper and I certainly can identify w/your struggle. Could you please address a question that I've had for a while now? It hits at #2. What part or how much or my heart am I responsible for changing and what part or how much should I rely/wait on God to change? BTW, I hope everything's getting better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicky, I love your questions, and I admire your desire.

    Unfortunately, the answer is not an easy one...in my view. I am persuaded by Calvinist (Reformed) theology, so my answer will differ from an Evangelical's...whose answer will differ from a Catholic's.

    Here's my opinion, though. Those of us who are God's chosen will all be saved. And nobody can take us out of that...not even ourselves! (That's what makes it grace. I can't save myself and I cannot keep myself saved, since I am a sinner by nature.) The parts of us that need changing in the course of our salvation will be brought to our attention by the Holy Spirit. We can resist it and fight it, but that burden will always be on our hearts/minds. If there's an area in your life (in our lives) that requires change, and you are convinced it needs to be changed, then you need to change it. But, the ABILITY to change it is given by the power of the Spirit. The CONVITION to change is also given to you by the Holy Spirit. Without His conviction, we'd never WANT to change, and thus we never WOULD change. He will bring you to a point where you will desire to make the necessary changes, because that's Who He is, and that's His function. And you will make those changes ONLY because the Holy Spirit empowers you to do so. After all, the Calvinist position is that we are devoid of being able to do anything to save ourselves (and probably even correct ourselves) by our own strength and admonition. That comes from...you guessed it...the Holy Spirit.

    Is that clear as mud?

    ReplyDelete