Pages

6.02.2013

"Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales", by Randy Singer

I've read only three of Singer's works now, and this one, in my humble estimation, is the best of those three.  There are many more, but I haven't gotten to them...yet.  This one contains suspense, tension, conspiracy, romance, and murder all in one.  

PLOT & TWIST:
"DLTNT" is the story of a young felon-turned-lawyer ("Landon Reed") whose first case is a make-it-or-break-it murder and conspiracy trial for another high-power attorney.  Landon's wife, Kerri, is a news reporter/journalist who stumbles upon sensitive information from a corporation with government ties.

There are several twists and turns that were entirely unexpected.  For instance, just when I thought Landon was being set-up for disaster by a codger of an old lawyer in the firm, the lawyer is offed.  I thought to myself, "Well, my first theory just flew out the window."  This happened not once, but twice!

MIDDLE:
Have you ever read that book that contains a "saggy middle"?  You know, the one that bores you to death with lack of development, or a sub-plot that is nowhere near interesting.  Well, that's not this book.  Singer developed the stories well, providing enough detail for necessity, but not too much to lose my interest.  And in the end, the two plots intertwined perfectly.  I had a general sense where it was going, but there were many holes that were completed only with the ending.
 
ENDING:
WHAT IT WASN'T: "And the two lovers rode off into the sunset, happily ever after."
WHAT IT WAS: Brilliant!  I won't spoil the ending, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I wasn't.

SUBTLE GOSPEL MESSAGE:
This is one aspect that fans of Christian novel will either love or hate.  Singer made a presentation of the gospel message very subtle.  I think most of us who read Christian fiction have read that book where the main character endures some sort of dramatic life transformation and becomes an evangelist who saves the world (or something like that).  This book's characters are not that type.
 
Instead, the gospel is presented by way of the "character" of the characters.  Who they are impacts what they think and do.  I found this especially appealing because I ask myself the same question: "Does the Jesus I claim to serve have such a profound impact upon how I think and act that others around me are influenced by my character?"

MORAL:
I refuse to put this book in a "box" and say there is just one "moral to the story".  There are more, but one that hit me hardest came near the end of the book.  I won't mention which character produced it, but the main idea was "not living a life based upon a lie."  It presented a soft approach to being honest with people -- whether those people are family, friends, co-workers, or complete strangers.  The consequences behind the character's decision were considered, but this person chose to do the right thing, even though it was the harder thing to do.

RATING & RECOMMENDATION:
What else can I say?  If you enjoy contemporary authors, you won't be disappointed with Randy Singer's latest, "Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales."  I honestly think Singer gives Baldacci, Flynn, Grisham, and Connelly a run for their money.  And he does it with all the necessities and real-life innuendos, but void of the smut.

I didn't want the book to end.  No lie!  I enjoyed this one that much.  I devoured it.  I would like to see Singer continue with a series with these same characters so as to develop their stories further.  I give "DLTNT" 5 stars out of 5.  I'd give it 6 if I could.

AUTHOR Q&A: located here.
CHAPTER 1 EXCERPT: located here.
AUTHOR's website: located here.
Lusher_130227_1246

No comments:

Post a Comment