Pages

7.13.2008

THE HOLINESS OF GOD: Chapter 9 Reflections:

Chapter 9 - God in the Hands of Angry Sinners

Quotable Sproul: "If God is holy at all, if God has an ounce of justice in His character, indeed if God exists as God, how could He possibly be anything else but angry with us? We violate His holiness; we insult His justice; we make light of His grace. These things can hardly please Him."

Allowing God's Holiness to Touch Our Lives - 3 questions

1) "How do you respond to Jonathan Edward's sermon ["Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"]? Is it compassionate?"

I have an audio copy of this sermon read by Max Mclean, and it is gripping. I've read it and listened to it, but hearing it is much more poignant. People today seem to think God's holiness and righteousness contains only mercy and compassion, rather than also containing wrath and justice. In fact, God's holiness demands justice!

Do I think the sermon is compassionate? Ironically, yes...but I'll explain. While it is painful to hear about the wrath of Almighty God, I think it would be more painful to experience His wrath. Unfortunately, wrath is what many will experience! As difficult as it is to hear where I need to be better in my marriage, I appreciate when my wife tells me where I am slipping. Therefore, it is more compassionate for her to tell me the truth than to hide it.

2) "How does understanding God's wrath help you honor Him as a holy God?"

As mentioned in my last post, understanding God's holiness helps me live in the realization that He watches my every move and many of those moves hurt Him. However, I am a child of God, chosen by Him, and I will not experience His divine wrath because Christ experienced it for me. Therefore, I have more desire -- not obligation -- to live a life that honors and pleases God.

3) "In what ways do you need God to help you love Him?"

In thought. In word. In action. In ALL ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment